Ak57\’s Weblog

Thoughts and opinions on Malaysian news, its people and its culture

Posts Tagged ‘Haidar

RC Ignores Third Video

New segment gets the short shrift

KUALA LUMPUR: The Royal Commission of Inquiry was yesterday told that a third segment of the video clip purportedly showing Datuk V.K. Lingam discussing judicial appointment with a judge had just been released.

Counsel M. Puravalen, who is representing Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim, said this after learning that his client would not be called to give evidence to the commission.

Commission chairman Tan Sri Haidar Mohamed Noor said it was unwise for Anwar to release the clip on an instalment basis.

“Don’t do it like that. We have a job to do here. Please tell your client that we cannot be dancing to his tune,” he added.

Another commission member, Datuk Mahadev Shankar, said previously Anwar had broadcast the two earlier clips to the entire world.

“Now, he wants to share it with us,” he said.

Haidar told Puravalen to inform Anwar to get in touch with deputy public prosecutor Datuk Nordin Hassan, who is assisting in the inquiry.

An eight-minute clip was released on Sept 19 and a 14-minute clip on Dec 19 last year.

The new segment allegedly implicated another former chief justice for allegedly receiving bribes from a senior lawyer and a business tycoon.

Businessman Loh Mui Fah said in a statement yesterday that he had asked his son Gwo Burne, who recorded the video, to do everything possible to recover all records of it.

“This is to ensure the commission is not disrupted by further possible revelations of other clips taken that evening.

“I believe that production of the recordings may assist the commission in its task,” he added.

– quoted from an article published in NST on 29th January 2008 (link)

Well I’m not surprised, though Haidar should have told off Whistle Blower, not Anwar. That did not stop Anwar from having a press conference expressing his disappointment of the RC for not allowing case fixing and ignoring the third video (its on www.malaysiakini.tv).

Advertisements

Written by ak57

January 29, 2008 at 11:50 pm

Posted in Lingam RC, Local News

Tagged with ,

An Attempt at Recusal

Three members see no reason to step down

KUALA LUMPUR: Three members of the Royal Commission of Inquiry into the “Lingam tape” issue refused to recuse (disqualify) themselves from the hearing yesterday despite objections from a lawyer.

Chairman Tan Sri Haidar Mohamed Noor, Tan Sri Steve Shim Lip Kiong and Puan Sri Zaitun Zawiyah Puteh declined to do so after an application by M. Puravalen, lead counsel for Parti Keadilan Rakyat de facto leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

Bar Council lawyer Robert Lazar also applied to disqualify Haidar and Shim, advocating similar grounds as Puravalen.

Puravalen claimed there was a likelihood of bias as Haidar was a trustee of the Perdana Foundation headed by a witness, former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad, a point that the former chief judge of Malaya refuted.

Haidar said there was little contact between him and Dr Mahathir.

“I attend the meetings once a year, so there is very little interaction between the two of us.”

Puravalen had said that there might be a perception of bias among members of the public if Haidar continued to head the commission.

“Another witness who was also mentioned several times in the video is businessman Tan Sri Vincent Tan. He is also a trustee of the Perdana Foundation.”

On Shim’s recusal, Puravalen said the former chief judge of Sabah and Sarawak was also mentioned in the video clip.

“(Shim) was said to have obtained his Tan Sri title before another person. There is a possibility that he (Shim) will be called as a witness to explain how he got his title that quickly.”

Shim rejected this claim, saying he also did not see the need to recuse himself. “I am not convinced at this point in time that I should recuse myself, but I am prepared to do so if there are further developments during the proceedings which may put me in such a position.”

He added: “In my experience as a judge, I have always taken the initiative to recuse myself if there are good grounds for doing so rather than wait for an application to be made.”

Puravalen said former solicitor-general Zawiyah should withdraw as she had been involved in some of Anwar’s cases as senior federal counsel.

Zawiyah said she had merely been doing her duties as a government servant.

“The decisions in those cases were made by the court, not by me.”

– quoted from an article published in NST on 15th January 2008 (link)

As for Zaitun Zawiyah, the former Solicitor-General, Puravalen argued that she had appeared as the Government’s counsel in the cases between Anwar and Dr Mahathir.

– quoted from a similar article published in The Star on 15th January 2008 (link)

I didn’t think Anwar had a snowball’s chance in Hell of getting any of the commissioners to recuse themselves, but it was worth a shot. I agree with the reasons for disqualifyng Haidar and Shim, but for Zaitun seems a bit of a stretch unless you consider that Tun Mahathir is one of the guilty parties of the crime of fixing judicial appointments.

Written by ak57

January 15, 2008 at 10:50 pm